Benedum Center, Pittsburgh, PA..... With a Morrissey concert, one always wonders whether it will take place at all--given Morrissey's well-documented history of shows cancelled at the last minute. So it was concerning when several recent of his concerts had to be scrapped due to credible death threats on the former Smiths frontman. But, it turned out not to be a concern and the show went on as scheduled. Morrissey was in fine voice but I had some issues with the setlist. Towards the end of the main set, I thought it's got to be bangers all the way down, but I was disappointed. Some deeper cuts, but more problematically, midtempo songs that didn't get the energy up except for the hardest-core of Moz-heads. There were a lot of people heading to the exits early, and my daughter (first time seeing him live) said to me at one point, "The music for each song sounds good but once he starts singing, they all sound the same." The last time I saw Morrissey , while a showcas...
Tradewinds, Sea Bright, NJ Goddamn, I wanted to hate Third Eye Blind live. At WHTG, we were playing "Semi Charmed Life" quite a bit and listeners really dug it. Hell, I dug it. Before this show, we had set up a meet & greet with some contest winners. The opening act, Long Island rockers Coward, were terrific guys--very friendly and personable to us station people and our listeners. One of our contest winners was in a wheelchair, and the Coward boys took an extra minute to give this listener some attention. By contrast, the members of Third Eye Blind looked and acted as if they just woke up and wanted to be elsewhere. Which may well have been true, but hey, guys: suck it up. Your duly-appointed representatives made a commitment for you to greet some listeners, so do your duty, if not with a smile, at least without a grimace. They also ignored the listener in the wheelchair. Jackasses. So I was all set to hate their performance. But, I had to admit, they put on a good show....
Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh with Damien Marley I didn't plan it this way. But I only see U2 once a decade. First in 1985, in Hartford, CT, on the Unforgettable Fire tour. Then, the indoor " Zoo TV " tour in 1992. And now again, 13 years later. post continues.... The stage set-up included a circular walkway which extended out into the crowd, allowing for the General Admission ticketholders who got in line early to be within the elliptical walkway. I was standing about 25 feet on the outside of the walkway (nearest to where The Edge's microphone was placed for "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"), so it was a terrific view when bandmembers strolled out into the crowd. Above the stage, the video monitors were broken up into four sections. For most of the show, each section featured isolated shots of each bandmember, which was a pretty good idea (although it was perhaps more attention than Larry and Adam were used to, as the Adam-cam caught him picking hi...
Comments