Shea Stadium, Flushing, NY This was one of the most spectacular concerts I've ever attended ("spectacular" being used in the "spectacle" sense). The massive stage, the huge industrial-themed set (on the top of which Mick Jagger dramatically appeared to sing "Sympathy for the Devil"), the gigantic inflatable women that emerged from the far ends of the set during "Honky Tonk Women"--it was quite a sight. set list: Start Me Up Bitch Sad Sad Sad Undercover of the Night Harlem Shuffle Tumbling Dice Miss You Ruby Tuesday Play With Fire Dead Flowers Rock and a Hard Place Mixed Emotions Honky Tonk Women Midnight Rambler You Can't Always Get What You Want Can't Be Seen Happy Paint It Black 2000 Light Years From Home Sympathy for the Devil Gimme Shelter It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) Brown Sugar (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (encore break) Jumpin' Jack Flash
The Haunt, Ithaca, NY..... The band was touring in support of their new album Moons of Jupiter . My college radio colleague Mike Stuto and I were trying to start a live, on-location concert series at our station, WICB. For several shows, we lugged an Otari 2-track reel-to-reel recorder down to The Haunt in downtown Ithaca and recorded the band's performance with a pair of microphones. The project didn't really last very long, however; the only bands I recall recording were Canada's The Grapes of Wrath, the Texas band Wild Seeds, and this one. As pretty much fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants college radio types, we didn't contact anyone from the band or their label in advance to clear making these recordings. We would just show up early at the venue and ask the band and their tour manager if it was OK. I remember having to wait a while for the band to complete their soundcheck before I could ask them if it was OK to, essentially, bootleg their show for the local college r...
State Theater, New Brunswick, NJ Sheik performed with a second guitarist, a bass player, and a percussionist. The sound mix was terrific. Very mellow, yet you could hear every note... As a sidebar, here's a 1996 interview I did with Sheik on his birthday (11/18): Mike: One of the things I love about your album is it's not just great music--songs, I mean--but also it's such a great sonic environment. Was that the kind of thing you heard in your head when you were composing the songs, or was this something that evolved in the studio? Duncan: Well, definitely my aesthetic comes from people like Brian Eno or David Sylvian or the later Talk Talk records. Whether they're electronically produced or they're acoustic-instrument produced, I still like these things that sound really organic and moody and have their own kind of darkness. That's always been a really important part of creating recordings for me. Mike: So when you have something like in "Reasons For Livin...
Comments