State Theater, New Brunswick, NJ Sheik performed with a second guitarist, a bass player, and a percussionist. The sound mix was terrific. Very mellow, yet you could hear every note... As a sidebar, here's a 1996 interview I did with Sheik on his birthday (11/18): Mike: One of the things I love about your album is it's not just great music--songs, I mean--but also it's such a great sonic environment. Was that the kind of thing you heard in your head when you were composing the songs, or was this something that evolved in the studio? Duncan: Well, definitely my aesthetic comes from people like Brian Eno or David Sylvian or the later Talk Talk records. Whether they're electronically produced or they're acoustic-instrument produced, I still like these things that sound really organic and moody and have their own kind of darkness. That's always been a really important part of creating recordings for me. Mike: So when you have something like in "Reasons For Livin...
World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, PA.... The Pixies were terrific, and definitely the most on-point performance of the three times I've seen them live to this point. They were pretty ferocious (I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the band being in the era of Paz Lenchantin on bass). I really enjoyed Real Estate and Laura Marling, and The Mavericks were fun as always. Nancy & Beth were alter egos for actors Megan Mullally and Stephanie Hunt, and late in their set, Nick Offerman (of Parks & Rec fame) came on stage beating a big bass drum strapped to his chest. Pixies Nick Offerman on bass drum Pixies setlist : All the Saints La La Love You Where Is My Mind? Winterlong Gouge Away Bel Esprit Classic Masher Wave of Mutilation Tenement Song All I Think About Now Caribou
Continental Airlines Arena/Meadowlands Arena/Brendan Byrne Arena, E. Rutherford, NJ I had just reported for work at WHTG as the Production Director two days before this show, and was suddenly handed tickets to both this show and for Neil Young , both taking place the same weekend at the same arena. On top of it, the previous morning show host (Bart Cross-Tierney, who I later got along quite well with when he returned to FM 106.3 with his own specialty show) had departed on my first day on the job and I was asked to fill in on the morning show during the following week (and a week turned into eight years). post continues.... So I decided that I really liked this job. INXS was at the very peak of their success during this tour (The "X Factor World Tour"). The X album's second single, "Disappear," was a top ten hit just then. No small amount of the crowd was teenage girls, swoony at the drop of a beat for Michael Hutchence and his Jim Morrisonesque looks . So I fo...
Comments