State Theater, New Brunswick, NJ Sheik performed with a second guitarist, a bass player, and a percussionist. The sound mix was terrific. Very mellow, yet you could hear every note... As a sidebar, here's a 1996 interview I did with Sheik on his birthday (11/18): Mike: One of the things I love about your album is it's not just great music--songs, I mean--but also it's such a great sonic environment. Was that the kind of thing you heard in your head when you were composing the songs, or was this something that evolved in the studio? Duncan: Well, definitely my aesthetic comes from people like Brian Eno or David Sylvian or the later Talk Talk records. Whether they're electronically produced or they're acoustic-instrument produced, I still like these things that sound really organic and moody and have their own kind of darkness. That's always been a really important part of creating recordings for me. Mike: So when you have something like in "Reasons For Livin...
World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, PA.... The Pixies were terrific, and definitely the most on-point performance of the three times I've seen them live to this point. They were pretty ferocious (I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the band being in the era of Paz Lenchantin on bass). I really enjoyed Real Estate and Laura Marling, and The Mavericks were fun as always. Nancy & Beth were alter egos for actors Megan Mullally and Stephanie Hunt, and late in their set, Nick Offerman (of Parks & Rec fame) came on stage beating a big bass drum strapped to his chest. Pixies Nick Offerman on bass drum Pixies setlist : All the Saints La La Love You Where Is My Mind? Winterlong Gouge Away Bel Esprit Classic Masher Wave of Mutilation Tenement Song All I Think About Now Caribou
Tradewinds, Sea Bright, NJ.... Poe was supposed to perform but she got sick. Here's a contemporaneous review I wrote for injersey.com: Seeing a show at The Tradewinds while the summer is in full swing--when everything is open and place is humming with people--is sort of like the Jersey Shore's answer to Disneyland. With the waterfall, fountain and faux rock formations, and the multiple bars, building facades, and all the colors--it gives a show an extra festive dimension. The crowd was thick at The Tradewinds for the Seven Mary Three concert, and many of the audience members looked ready to get hit with a loud dose of rock 'n' roll. Likely if any band could make the crowd forget the festive environment, Seven Mary Three would be it. But despite the pumped fans, Seven Mary Three gave an uneven performance which was merely adequate--with high and low points which were both higher and lower than most concerts. Lead singer Jason Ross has an annoying tendency to scream lyric...
Comments