Chameleon Bar, New York, NY..... I had what was really my only booked performance in a music venue as a musician. It was at the Chameleon Bar in New York City, and I was part of Nova Pilbeam, the acoustic duo I had formed with my college friend Marnie Dubow. We had named our musical combo after a British actress who, as a teenager, had appeared in two Alfred Hitchcock films. Nova Pilbeam was a cute and spunky young woman who had a memorable supporting role in Hitchcock's 1934 classic They Man Who Knew Too Much and then starred in his Young and Innocent in 1937. Two years afterwards, Pilbeam married the great-grandson of Alfred, Lord Tennyson until he was killed in a plane crash during World War II. She retired from acting at age 29 During most of 1990, I had lived in Chelsea -- long before the neighborhood's gentrification, back when New York was a very dangerous place. In fact, that year that I lived in a windowless basement apartment about 75 feet away from the 8th Avenue s...
Amphitheatre at Station Square/Chevrolet Amphitheatre, Pittsburgh, PA I was extremely late for the show. I was on the guest list, but they almost weren't going to let me in since they had already broken down the will call table. I had just recently moved to Pittsburgh and I was still getting used to the early concert start times which are the rule here (unlike the NY-NJ area, where the headliner rarely goes on before 11pm, even on weeknights). post continues.... My previous experiences seeing The Clarks were in small clubs in NJ, so I was shocked and amazed to see a sellout crowd in this amphitheater (which is actually just a parking lot with a permanent teflon tent-structure over it). Regional stars are a phenomenon we don't have enough of anymore--bands usually attain some level of national success or else they're stuck in local-band hell. The Clarks sold out this place, something that the Foo Fighters didn't even do a little more than a week later. Cool!
Continental Airlines Arena, E. Rutherford, NJ..... Coming hot on the heels of an amazing new album, Achtung Baby , and with much advance chatter about the over-the-top multimedia design of the "Zoo TV" concerts, there was a lot of anticipation for this tour. This was my first time seeing U2 since the Hartford Civic Center in 1985, so I was greatly looking forward to the show. However, it was a Wednesday night, which sucked--I was doing the WHTG morning show, so I had to get up no later than 5am the following morning. But sleep issues notwithstanding, this show was unbelievable. The band performed at their usual inspirational level, and the multitude of video screens around the set provided an intriguing running commentary on and interaction with the music. Bono's preening before the onstage cameras when he came out dressed in his silver lame outfit was almost shocking--here was a guy who had built his reputation on earnestness, and he was suddenly playing the part of a ro...
Comments