Cloaca Melodia

My life in concerts, by Mike Sauter.

9/01/2008

Del Castillo, Jason & The Scorchers

Johnstown Folk Festival, Johnstown, PA

I've been wanting to see Jason Ringenberg & The Nashville Scorchers live for more than 20 years. At my college radio station in 1985, '86, '87, we used to play "White Lies," "Golden Ball & Chain," and the band's take on "Absolutely Sweet Marie" quite a lot. And I remember my friend John Webber going to see them live and enjoying the hell out of it--despite being nearly deaf for days afterwards.

post continues....

So I wanted to see them, too. But eventually, they stopped playing out of Nashville much. I did see Jason Ringenberg solo live back in 2003, which was a great time. But I still wanted to see the band.

When I saw they were going to be appearing at the Johnstown Folk Fest, I thought that the stars were aligning; I've always meant to go to the Fest since moving to Pittsburgh in 2003 (close enough, although still a more than 90-minute drive). Plus, Del Castillo was also on the bill and performing immediately preceding The Scorchers--a band that not I really dig, but my wife likes as well.

Of course, now that I have a baby I have to make sure that she's consulted on such plans (9-month-olds have amazing powers of veto). The Scorchers were scheduled for a 7pm start time which was just barely within the realm of do-ability to see some of the show, drive home, and get baby to bed at a reasonable time.

So, to make a long story short, we came, we saw, we, er, well, not conquered. We enjoyed. Jason & The Scorchers are not the same band they were twenty years ago--I wonder whether Jason Ringenberg foresaw that he would be doing Farmer Jason children's music--but it was thoroughly fun. Sadly, I wasn't able to stay for too long and didn't get to hear any favorites (especially "Broken Whiskey Glass") but it was good to finally scratch that band off my list.

And Del Castillo was frickin' amazing as well. As my previous experience seeing them live attested, they are an incredible bunch of musicians. In some ways, they're remind me of Los Lonely Boys, but without the drug busts and with a souped-up, two-guitar attack.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave S. said...

Holy cow, I didn't realize Farmer Jason was THAT Jason! Of course it all makes sense now.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home