Cloaca Melodia

My life in concerts, by Mike Sauter.

5/30/2008

Ani DiFranco/The Hold Steady/Dr. John

World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, PA

Newton Faulkner actually was the first artist on the bill, but we arrived late and missed him (I would catch him two weeks later at Bonnaroo). I had dinner with the Irish band Bell X1 and got into a long and winding conversation with their drummer Tim O'Donovan, hence the tardiness.

post continues....

It was the first time I had seen Ani in concert (not counting an in-studio appearance at WYEP in June of '06) since 2003. Frankly, I thought that she had a series of substandard albums and had less interest in seeing her live.

When The Hold Steady took the stage, I was interested to note the striking, albeit not obvious, similarities between the band and Ani DiFranco. Both are rhythm- and lyric-oriented, rather than melody- or hook-driven, and each's lyrics can resemble beat poetry on the page.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home