Cloaca Melodia

My life in concerts, by Mike Sauter.

9/12/1990

Blues Traveler

Lonestar Roadhouse, New York, NY

I was then working in the mailroom for Blues Traveler's record label, so I got a free ticket to the show. I loved the song "But Anyway" from their then-new debut album, and I was excited to check them out live. Plus, the show (or part of it, at any rate) was going to be broadcast live on NYC's big mainstream rock station, WNEW. I had spent time in high school and during breaks in college listening to live concert broadcasts from WNEW, so I found it very cool to be a part of the in-person audience for one.

The performance was everything I had hoped it would be. Ever have that experience in a concert when the music swoops you up and takes you away momentarily and you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach like you're on a roller coaster? I'll never forget one of those moments at this show, during one of the extended jams. Everything just came together perfectly, both musically and the physical intensity of the amplified music in the room.

Now that the radio broadcast portion of the concert is up at archive.org, I haven't quite been able to identify it took place, but listening to it you still get a good aural snapshot of a good band at the height of their talents.



setlist:
[first set was broadcast live on WNEW]
set 1:
Gina
Mulling It Over>But Anyway
100 Years
Gotta Get Mean>Gloria>Gotta Get Mean
Alone>Sweet Talking Hippie
Mother Funker

set 2:
Some Things I Will Not Pretend>Dropping Some NYC>Support Your Local Emperor
All Up To You>Shotgun Shell>Brother John
Crystal Flame

(source)

Here's streaming audio of the 'NEW broadcast:

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home