Cloaca Melodia

My life in concerts, by Mike Sauter.

12/12/1989

Paul McCartney

Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

After seeing the concert the night before, I was grateful to have been offered a ticket to this night by my Ithaca-based Beatles friends Marge & Mario. It was very fascinating to see McCartney on two consecutive nights. (Something I've done only occasionally with a handful of bands I dig, like King Missile or the Avett Brothers.) 

Everything was exactly the same, from the set list to the between-song comments I would have sworn were ad-libs the evening before. And it makes sense; Paul has always wanted to feel in control -- armchair psychologists, if not professional ones, would probably say the impulse goes back to insecurity after his mom died.


Set list:
Figure of Eight
Jet
Rough Ride
Got to Get You Into My Life
Band on the Run
Ebony and Ivory
We Got Married
Maybe I'm Amazed
The Long and Winding Road
The Fool on the Hill
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Good Day Sunshine
Can't Buy Me Love
Put It There
Hello, Goodbye
Things We Said Today
Eleanor Rigby
This One
My Brave Face
Back in the U.S.S.R.
I Saw Her Standing There
Twenty Flight Rock
Coming Up
Let It Be
Ain't That a Shame
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude
(encore break)
Yesterday
Get Back
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home